Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tater Tower

Many of you know I'm a huge Pintrest fan. I love trying new things I've learned on the site. One of the things I tried was a Tater Tower I found here:


We even made it into a family challenge and got my Mom, brother and a friend from Florida to join in on the fun. I'm waiting to see how theirs turn out.

I have taken picture of the Medusa looking growth in my tower, but I can't find those pictures right now. :( Just take my word for it. I had a huge amount of growth outside of the tower. It was neat!

When Medusa started to wilt and die back and the farmers around here started to harvest their potatoes I figured it was time to harvest ours too. After some pool time, the kids and I decided it was a good time to dig out tater. We made a big mess, had some fun, but didn't get a lot of potatoes. 

We planted red, yellow and white potatoes. The red potatoes did best, but that's not saying a whole lot. The post said you could grow 25 lbs of potatoes, yeah right! We didn't come close to that amount. We had lots of tiny tater, the size of Eden and Josiah's little fingers. Maybe we dug them up to soon? Maybe we didn't plant or water them enough? There are lots of maybes. The one thing I do know is tomorrow we will be having mashed potatoes for dinner :)



 Eden with a big find
 This was after I pulled the fence off and before the mess began.
(That's hay on top)
Our 1st tater harvest.
It will be neat for our kids to eat what we grew.



2 comments:

YaYa said...

Great job!!! Wish I were for the mashed potatoes....

YaYa said...

OOPS!!! Wish I were there for the mashed potatoes... Mind was moving faster than my fingers!!!