Friday, March 12, 2010

Resurrection Cookies and an Update

Sorry for the delay in blogging. My blogging time has been spent getting use to my new computer and all of the different settings. A few months ago, I was blessed with some awesome Photography software, CS4! But I had to wait to buy a computer to put it on. Now I have both up and running and am enjoying the learning process. I'm excited about what these new tools can do for my photography hobby. My prayer is to spend the next year or so studying and learning so that in the future I might start my own business with the skills and tools the Lord has blessed me with.



So for today, I am passing along a great idea that some friends shared with me on Facebook. Thanks Sarah and Jennifer:)



Larry and I are trying to establish holiday traditions with our children. We have decided not to have Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny as part of how we celebrate the holidays. We have opted instead to focus on the meaning behind the holidays. We enjoy studying the meaning behind the holiday.

I wanted to see what creative things my friends do with their families to teach the TRUTH of Easter.So I asked my friends on Facebook to share some of their Easter traditions and I LOVED this idea. I know Josiah is to young, but I think Eden might catch glimpse of the TRUTH in this activity. As they get older I hope traditions like these will impact my children's hearts. Leading them to have relationship with Christ.


These are Resurrection Cookies. You can find the website here: http://realfoodliving.com/recipes/resurrection-cookies










Resurrection Cookies
1 cup whole pecans (we use almonds)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3 egg whites
pinch salt
1 cup organic sugar
Plastic baggie
Wooden spoon, rolling pin
Tape
Bible
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. (Do this before doing anything else.)

Place nuts in baggie and beat them with a wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Explain that after Jesus was arrested and He was beaten by the Roman soldiers. Read John 19:1-3

Open the vinegar and let everyone smell it. Put 1 teaspoon into the mixing bowl. Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross, all He was given to drink was vinegar. Read John 19:28-30

Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life. Read John 10:10-11

Sprinkle a little salt into each person’s hand. Let them taste it, then brush the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus’ followers, and the bitterness of our own sin. Read Luke 23:27

So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Sprinkle a little sugar into each person’s hand. Let them taste it, then brush the rest into the bowl. Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him. Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16

Beat with mixer on high speed for 15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed. Explain that the color white represents our purity in God’s eyes because our sins are cleansed by Jesus. Read Isaiah 1:18

Fold in nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus’ body was laid. Read Matthew 27:57-60

Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and TURN THE OVEN OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door shut. Explain that Jesus’ tomb was sealed. Read Matthew 27:65-66

You’re done! Explain that you cannot eat the cookies tonight, but that you have to leave the cookies in the oven overnight. That might not make anyone too happy. Explain that Jesus’ followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed. Read John 16:20 and 22

The next morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On the third day, Jesus followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty. Read Matthew 28:1-9

Enjoy the cookies and have a Happy Easter!

No comments: