Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Reflections on Haiti part two

Medical Teams
There are two different medical teams (Alpha and Omega) that serve the communities in and around Port Au Prince. I served on both but spent most of my time with Team Alpha. I had the wonderful privilege to serve with Dr. Vladamir and Dr. Merline. They are two of the most amazing people I have ever meet. They worked for free when there was no money to pay them. One of the best decisions Baptist Men ever made was to hire them. I saw them give away and provide for so many children that I was truly humbled. Each one took wonderful care of their patients. They spent time and showed genuine concern for each patient. Although I didn't understand the language, the compassion they showed was clear to anyone serving along side of them.


During the trip back to the compound our last day, I commented on how impressed I was with them. They simply said, "we are Christians. That is what we should do, love and serve others like Christ loved us." During that conservation we talked about how they thought they were rich. Compared to our standard of living they are far from what most Americans would call rich. Yet these two really understood the meaning of blessing and wealth. They share all that they have and don't worry about tomorrow, because they trust the Lord to provide. It was such an incredible lesson for me to learn.




Dr. Vlad (top right) and Dr. Merlin (bottom left) with some of the children we helped in the mountains.



The long lines waiting to be seen by the doctors. Some of them start waiting around 3:00 am. They are so thankful to be seen. I was most impressed with the children. They would sit on a lap and wait hours with no food or water, always obedient.


Each night we would count and pack pills for the next day.


Dr. Merline seeing a patient


This is our Haitian pharmacy :) We had everything on individual bags and then packaged in larger bags to hand out. Medication was especially difficult because of the language barrier. My translator spoke French and a some Creole. But most of the patients couldn't read instructions. So we taught by a circle system that represented how many pills and how many times a day to take their medication.


I know this looks like a mess, it did to me on Monday too. By Friday, I had most of it figured out.


Our last clinic on Friday was the nicest. We had the pharmacy on the porch and the doctors saw patients in the shade. Most of the clinics were done under tarps and in make shift churches.
I missed going to the tent city with team Omega. From what I heard from teams members, I am thankful. Tent cities are by far the worst for bugs and disease.

One of the most challenging aspects in going was I didn't really know for sure what I would be doing each day. Each morning our team would figure out the who was there and I would help out where ever I could. Some days I did triage taking blood pressures and blood sugars. Other days I worked in the pharmacy or helped doctors treat patients. On the day we served the orphans, I cut fingernails and cleaned ears. I will not even tell you some of the nasty things we found in ears!! We wound up making a contest for the biggest and the nastiest things found each day.

Dr. Vlad sent out a report describing our week. Here is a little look at what we saw. And yes, we took worm pills, malaria treatment and we did a scabies wash before we came home. A small price to pay for the help we were able to provide.


MONDAY 07/ 26 / 2010 PATIENTS SEEN: 284
TUESDAY O7 / 27 / 2010 PATIENTS SEEN: 297
WEDNESDAY 07 / 28 / 2010 PATIENTS SEEN: 287
THURSDAY 07 / 29 / 2010 PATIENTS SEEN: 310
FRIDAY 07 / 30 / 2010 PATIENTS SEEN: 230
TOTAL PATIENTS SEEN: 1408.
PREVENTION BY EDUCATING PEOPLE (patients) AND TALKING TO THEM THIS WEEK ABOUT HYGIENE: Around 2500 people were educated about HYGIENE and were prepared to practice and share the advices they were given.
MOST OF THE PATIENTS WE HAVE BEEN SEE ARE TREATED FOR:
1- CONJUNCTIVITIS
2- SKIN INFECTION( Tiena Capitis, Tiena Dermatitis, Impetigo, Scabies, fungal infection)
3- COLD(Bronchitis, Cough, Rhinorhea)
4- MALNUTRITION
5- ANEMIA
6- PARASITOSIS
7- FEVER( Malaria, Typhoid, upper respiratory infection)
8- UTI
9- DIARRHEA
10- FOLLOW UP OF PATIENTS FROM THE EARTHQUAKE.
DOCTORS: 3 HAITIANS, 0 US DOC
NURSES : 1 HAITIAN, 3 US Rn
TRANSLATORS: 2
HAITIANS DRIVERS: 2
OTHER VOLUNTEERS FROM THE US: 2










1 comment:

In Everything said...

WOW! You all amazing for being soo eager and willing to go... no matter WHAT the task! Sounds like many people were touched in very REAL ways through your work in the clinics and with the orphans!

just reminds me of the song by Audio Adrenaline about being the hands and feet of Christ!

And I'll be contacting you about the best way to clean out ears sounds like you have plenty of experience!