Monday, September 23, 2013

Map time

One on the fun things about homeschooling is all of the neat stuff you get to learn. Geography has never been a strong suit of mine. So I've decided to introduce it to my kids at an early age in hope of instilling a  knowledge of different countries and cultures. As an added bonus, I'm hoping for an improvement in my since of direction in the process!

One of the best bargains I have found was this world map at Wal-Mart.  I purchased it a while back, but finally got around to hanging it up this fall. If  I remember correctly, is was less than $5. A great price considering it's size and up to date information.

Did you know that in 2000 scientist named a new ocean? It was always there, but a bunch of smart people got together and named it, and poof, we have a new ocean for my kids to learn. If you can name what and where it is, you'll be as smart as my first grader :) For the answer you can click here.  See you learn cool stuff in home school!



The first day I had the map up Josiah goes over to explore it and responds,
"Look mom, Madagascar!"

 I call map time and send the kids climbing on the couch to find a place we're studying.

Eden finds Egypt!

and North Carolina.



So far it's been a big hit. The kids have enjoyed finding places. Eden has learned all of her continents and oceans. My since of direction is no better, but it's still the beginning of the year. :)

No comments: