Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Gilbreath Family Rules

We've had our hands full lately in the Gilbreath home. Full of blessings and hard work. There are days I fall into bed exhausted! Parenting is such a difficult tasks, it is not for the faint hearted!

One of the reasons we've had our hands full is obedience training with the kids. Larry came home for lunch today. We had a good conversation about the challenges we've been facing. ( I am so glad I married him!)We're trying to develop a plan specific to each child's issues. We realize that punishments and praises effect each of our children differently.  We also realized we needed to team up. It's three against two now :) 

It dawned on me that I had assumed that our children knew our family rules. I feel like I am constantly telling them, something is unacceptable behavior. And most the time I'm upset or angry while telling them. Well what does unacceptable behavior to a 4 and 3 year old? So I decided that I need to type our rules out and read it over with the kids. They each got a copy and one was put on the fridge. We are hoping they will begin to understand our expectations and consequences.  We're praying their behavior will improve.
 
Eden responded very well to it. She likes list and rules. (That is her Momma in her) This will be a good thing for her. She asked question and during dinner told Josiah the rules when he would break one. Josiah was more interested in the letter and words than their meaning. BUT I am praying he will begin to understand and respond well over the next few days. I plan to go over it with them daily until it is ingrained in their brains.
 
Al least I feel like I am being proactive instead of reactive. Not sure if this will help, but it certainly can not hurt. Here is the list I created. I looked online and got ideas from different sites. I kept it short and simple, addressing some of the big issues we're having a hard time with, like hitting, table manners and obeying right away and without and attitude.


Gilbreath Family Rules

1. Obey All The Way, Right Away, and With a Happy Heart!

2. Treat each other with respect.
no yelling
no hitting
no kicking
no biting
no name-calling

3. No arguing (talking back) with parents.

4. Respect each other’s property.
Ask permission to use something that doesn’t belong to you.
Put the toy back where you found it
Share

5. Do not complain or throw a fit!

6. Practice good table Manners
You must sit at the table to eat
Use your fork, spoon and napkin
Do not talk with food in your mouth
Ask to be excused when you are finished


7. Clean up what you mess up.


8. Look for ways to be kind and helpful to each other.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I hope this goes well for you! I have often thought I need to write down and post rules so it can be a constant reminder. I feel like this will help with our discussion about when do we need to explain our reasons to children and when should they just listen? I feel like, hopefully, once children have been fully taught what is and isnt acceptable, it is time to "obey all the way right away and with a happy heart" So since I am part of the procrastination club I have yet to post any rules but you have motivated me to get it together and complete our own family rules. Thank You!

In Everything said...

We've had the Duggar Rules posted and have spent seasons where they have been read over and over;)

The challenge for me is really seeing if I... yes, I... am also "following" the rules!!

And that is one place the parenting gets sticky... at least for me!

Kudos, I'm in that season with you;)