Wednesday, February 29, 2012

This season

It has become a catch phrase to call things “seasons” in Christian life. I suppose it comes from Ecclesiastes 3:1 To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. And in my honest moments, I cry out because this has been a difficult season these past few months. Lack of sleep and sick babies makes for a difficult combination. Add to it a sick Momma, and things just get all convoluted in my head. My patience is short and laugher is not as common. The people I love the most in the world are the ones who feel my irritability. Sometimes I hear myself talking and I think, Angela, Why are you so mad about this? Why did you say that?


This “season” has also occurred during the trying times of parenting. Both my older children have gone through really tough days of training lately. Days that have left me worn out and literally on my knees in prayer over them. I keep telling myself, if we put in the hard work now, it will pay off with diligent joyful children in our futures. I’m holding on to that as a precious jewel.

And I don’t mean to sound all melodramatic, like every moment is horrendous. They aren’t. There are some precious sweet moments too. Moments when Eden is helpful to Josiah, or when Josiah tells Eden she’s doing a good job. Other sweet moments when Titus is sleeping and snuggled on my chest,  or giving me a sweet two tooth grin. I hold on to those sweet moments. Realizing that the precious moments are what make this season special. Those moments get me through the season.

I think in writing this I’ve worked myself out of a funky head place. It’s where my mind has battled self pity, weariness, and frustration. I have failed so miserably to make prayer the first place I go when I get frustrated instead of the last. I know it takes an active prayer life, some days a considerable amount of prayer to keep focused on the big picture.

My big picture is that these wonderful people God has entrusted to me are to be cherished and trained. It will not be easy. But I know that my loving God has sifted all of these situations through His fingers to bring about my growth and sanctification just as much as thiers. And I also know that sooner than I will realize it, this season will be over. Then another season will be upon us with its challenges and frustrations, joys and trials. I guess that what’s life is all about. Getting from one season to another until we get to heaven.


A two tooth grin. :)

1 comment:

YaYa said...

Well said!!! And I LOVE that two tooth grin!!!!!