Thursday, September 2, 2010

Eden's Art

In an attempt to start Pre-K with Eden, we've begun project time each afternoon and evening when Josiah is sleeping. Eden now ask, "when is Josiah going to sleep?" in anticipation of our special time together. She loves our time of day when it's just "the girls."

I've enjoyed this time too, but have realized how much I have to learn in becoming her teacher. Little things like the assumption she would know how to cut with scissors and hold her pencil are just 2 examples of when I've realized.... Ang, she doesn't know how to cut because she's never done it before. She doesn't know how to hold a pencil because this is the first time you've shown her how to draw letters. This time has humbled me as I realize how much work will go into educating our children. But it has also brought great joy as I watch Eden learning new skills and we genuinely enjoy our time together.

Eden is so eager to learn. She started asking how to spell and write her name. Then how to spell everyone else's names. She was so proud of herself as she connected the dots one letter at a time. E....D...E...N.....then tried to draw it herself underneath. All the while she keep saying, "look Mommy, I'm doing it, I'm doing it!"



Making flowers with Popsicle sticks and muffin cups.
She practiced writing her name on this paper, then used it for art.
Recycling...that's my girl!
We made a family of caterpillars

Making anklets.
I love the look of concentration on her face.


One of our supply tins.


Eden's Caterpillar family


Most of what we use, I found at the dollar store and Wal-mart. We have some great little work books that teach letters, numbers, shapes, and colors. We read lots of books, that we check out from the library. We're also working on learning some Spanish. I'm planning to wait to teach her to read for another year or so. For now, we're just focusing on building a good foundation and having fun while we learn.

If you're a homeschooling mom, or if you have a nifty craft you do with your preschooler, please feel free to comment with ideas or suggestions of material you like.
And just as an FYI, I took these pictures using my Light Scoop. I love it! I have a nice flash on my wish list. But a Light Scoop is a great tool until my wish becomes a reality. While reading my friend Casey's blog I saw her mention them and figured I would try it. I'm so glad I did. It helps take great indoor pictures. The pictures above are not edited. :)

2 comments:

Steven and Candi Manning said...

I don't have any ideas, but I'd love for you to teach me all of the things you're teaching Eden. Looks like a lot of fun!

YaYa said...

Eden, I love my anklet... Thank you!!