Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bitter Sweet

Bitter sweet is the phrase that keeps coming to mind when I think through these past few days. It has been great to visit with family. Shannon was here with his children when we arrived. Eden and Brielle ran towards one another and hugged, so excited to see one another completely oblivious to the sadness that had brought us together for this visit.


I have learned a lot about the process of dying in the past few days. It is a strange thing that we seldom talk about and desire even less to be around. Yet in times like these, there is no way to avoid it. Sitting at Granny’s beside has been a blessing. It’s very difficult to watch, but a great way to love and serve her.

Granny has been aware of us and knows she is surrounded by loved ones. That must be a wonderful thing to know during your last days. Wednesday, she heard the children playing in the living room and asked about them. She smiled as she heard their laughter. I asked if she wanted to see them and she said yes. So we brought in Eden and Josiah. Josiah didn’t visit long, but Eden and I got to spend some time with Granny. Granny called her by name and they got to speak for a little while. They were able to tell each other, “I love you.” What a special memory that will make for Eden and I.

One of the best things about this experience is how much more I’ve grown in love and respect with Larry. He has been wonderful! He holds me when I need to cry, and listens when I’m processing through my emotions. He feels no need to say anything unnecessary, he’s just quietly there, Loving and helping where ever he can. He’s been great at taking the children to play so that I could sit at Granny’s bedside. I am so blessed to be married to him and times like these remind me of how special he is.

Another blessing of this process is looking through the old photos. There hundreds if not thousands of pictures in box after box of photos. As someone who loves photography, you can imagine my joy in reliving some of those fond memories and learning about my grandmothers and grandfathers lives before I was even thought of. The story telling and laughter has been a special time for our family as we prepare to say goodbye.

I would love to ask you all to keep us in your prayers. The end is near. We know Granny is going to heaven where there will be no more pain, only joy. And the biggest blessing of them all, JESUS.

 Granny and Grandpa
They have been married 65 years!
 A high school picture of Grandma
Granny holding her grand girls.
Kelly is on the left, I'm on the right.
Gotta love that red hairdo!


No comments: