Monday, May 23, 2011

Fun Learning

I've been going back and forth with myself for months trying to decided if I should start Eden in a reading program to teach her to read.  I've bought Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and  she was given Hooked on Phonics for Christmas.  She's still 3, and I want her to enjoy being 3 and not put any pressure on her to start reading to soon. But she LOVES learning. So I've tried to find fun learning tools for her to start with her pre-reading skills. 

Friday, I found some neat puzzles and Melissa and Doug toys and games at a consignment shop.  This is a Leap Frog puzzle I found for $1. Eden loves it. She is always asking me how to spell words and now she has a tool to help her with learning. I pulled out some of our flash cards with 3 and 4 letter words and encouraged her to spell them out. She did such a good job and thinks of this as fun. 




Of course she has to give me funny faces as I try to take a few pictures. She really did enjoy this. In fact, she woke up and asked if she could play with it while she was waiting on breakfast.

If any of you have suggestions on teaching reading or tools you enjoy, please feel free to share your ideas.

1 comment:

In Everything said...

I've always thought it was better to START when they show interest. If she starts NOT wanting to do it... scale back or add more activities to make it fun.

CHris was sounding out CAT when I finally decided to start him learning to read. He was just 4 (but very immature!!) but he have gone SLOW... very slow, but I feel like he's learning. And now that he's of "school age" we're working on completing what we start vs testing the waters to see if he was ready....

then it's a whole new ballgame:)